Sep 23, 2007

Deep inside...

So, the other day I was having a conversation with a guy I hadn’t spoken to in a bit. He was relaying how he had been the subject of a bizarre attack by a mutual acquaintance and how it came out of left field.

These things happen and I counseled him to just ignore it. I’ve dealt with the same thing myself at times - sometimes you can say something in a totally innocuous way and it can be taken entirely the wrong way. I’ve done it myself. Something touches a nerve in a person and all the insecurities swell forth and raise their ugly head. It’s embarrassing when I succumb to that kind of behavior and it’s sad to witness it in others.

Then again, I wonder if some people aren’t more susceptible to it.

Maybe they aren’t susceptible; maybe there is a small part of them that relishes this conflict because it gives them a chance to disrupt other people’s lives. There are people like that too, people who feed on drama and discord, who can only feel secure or satisfied at the misfortune or consternation of others. It makes me think back to those days in high school where self-image is based so strongly in one’s relationship within a group. If you’ve seen Mean Girls, you’ll know exactly what I’m talking about.

In this instance during the course of the conversation I could only postulate that the instigator of all of this discord really had a fourteen-year-old girl trapped inside of them. That led to me getting this cartoon a little afterward that can be summed up only by the word wicked and that the cartoon had me laughing hysterically.

No comments: